If you are moving you email addresses to Google Apps and intend to retain the same email addresses, then there a simple trick which will allow you to migrate the contents of each email address into the new GMail account.
For example, if you need to migrate the mail from email@example.com old account to the the Gmail account for this email address, do the follow these steps:
- Login to the firstname.lastname@example.org GMail account
- Click the setting icon top right corner and select “Mail Settings”
- Click the “Accounts” tab
- Click the “Add a mail account you own” link in the “Get mail from other accounts:” section
- Here’s the trick: You’ll asked asked to enter the email address you want GMail to POP from. Don’t use email@example.com, GMail will throw an error. Instead just rename the email slightly to – firstname.lastname@example.org – click the “Next” button
- On the next screen, enter the actual username – usually email@example.com, or joe. Enter the password and change the POP Server setting to the correct domain and port for the old server you are migrating from.
- Click the “Add Account” and your done.